Okay, okay…so I know I’ve been posting a lot of photo based articles lately.  Let’s face it, they’re fast, easy & down right nice to look at.  But that’s not the real reason I’ve been posting just picture after picture.  

With so many wines to choose from…where do I start?!?!

You see…last week, I had the privilege of attending Aspens annual Food & Wine Festival…where of course I had the privilege of sampling MANY different styles of wine as well as world class cuisine.  Coming hand in hand with all of this tasting is, well…a full time buzz, making it quite difficult to write…errr….how should I say “eligibly”.  

So what better way to get back into the actual literature of travel blogging than to start off by telling you the 5 best wines I’ve experienced out of literally hundreds to choose from?  So here it is!

Go Pour a Glass & Enjoy!

________________________________________________

~ Col Solare 2007 Vintage ~

Columbia Red Wine

Blend, Aromas & The Palate:

This fantastic & smoothly blended wine was aged for 21 months in 85% French and 15% American new oak barrels with a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, and 5% Cabernet Franc.

Your senses became aroused with aromas of black cherry, currant and ripe black berries along with a subtle note of espresso and vanilla.  My palate embodied flavors of dark chocolate, black fruits & a coconut spice completing itself with a smooth, silky finish.  Fantastic!

~ Sterling Vineyards SVR Reserve ~

Nappa Valley Red Wine

Aromas & Palate:

Your senses become awakened with the aromas of black licorice, black cherry, toasty oak, new leather & briar.  Livening your taste buds, this smooth red wine brings to the table flavors of ripe Bing cherry with hints of toasty oak & vanilla.  If you love licorice…this is the wine for you!

~ Cameron Hughes 2011 Lot 305 ~

Famatina Valley Torrontes White Wine

Aromas & Palate:

Mesmerizing aromas of flowers & lush fruit fill your nose with the aromas of jasmine flowers, nectarine fruit & lemon peel.  Your palate is quickly startled (in a good sense) to the acidity & essence of apricot throughout the entire tasting.  

What I would describe as juicy, this fine wine would compliment any seafood platter, particularly sushi, very well with it’s wonderful aromatic features!

~ Guarachi 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon ~

Napa Valley Red Wine

Aromas & Palate:

Rated an impressive 92 Points by the Wine Spectator, this pleasantly bold, firm & earthy wine hosted flavors of blackberry fruit, dried currant and cedar, leaving long supple tannins on your palate.

~ Ramian 2008 Chapter EIGHT ~

Ramian Estate Napa Valley Red Wine

Aromas & Palate:

With pleasant aromas of aromas of dark cherry, blackberry, cassis, vanilla and wood, this vintage is 96% Cabernet Sauvignon with the remaining 4% being a perfect balance of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec & Petit Verdot. 

Aged in French Oak barrels for 22 months, this unfined & unfiltered acidic wine features flavors of light roast coffee, oak, caramelized sugar & anise.  I find this wine to be well balanced with a long, smooth taste on the palate.

________________________________________________

Although I don’t consider myself a wine advocate (just an occasional drinker of wine 😉 ), I would HIGHLY recommend you save up the money to attend this festival…or at the very least make friends with those who have passes!  

It was quite an experience and with the sheer amount of fine delicacies complimenting the MANY bottles of wine, you’re sure to have a fantastic time!

Here are some of the many delicious samples of cheeses to compliment the wine tastings!

Now go get some cheese, crackers & one these fine bottles of wine (or two!!) to create a night with your friends that you’ll never forget!  Happy Tastings!

Do you consider yourself a wine advocate…or at least drink lots of wine?  What’s your favorite bottle?