To take that first step backpacking around the world without the essential packing list can be nerve-racking.
But, once you get your outdoor gear ready, boarding the plane and stepping into unknown territory can be one of the greatest experiences of your life.
Some of you know what this feeling is like, while others have yet the opportunity to actually experience it.
I can tell you right now that this is indeed a very interesting and addicting feeling to have.
The first time I took a journey like this was when I decided to get a job server beverages onboard a cruise ship in Hawaii. If I can tell you one thing, working and living on a cruise ship can be loads of fun!
But before you can actually step out for a journey like this, or any other adventure for that matter, you need to prepare for the trip with the proper travelers and outdoor gear. That’s why I’ve created the following list to help give you an idea of what you may or may not need while backpacking around the world.
Essential Outdoor Gear | Packing List:
- Gregory Baltaro 65 Backpack
- Rain Cover for Backpack
- Hiking Shoes
- Fast Dry Towel
- Clothes (Rainjacket, Fleece, 2 pairs pants, 2 shirts, 6 pairs underwear, 6 pairs socks)
- Hoodie & Bandana
- Ultralight Tent
- Ultralight Sleeping Pad
- Ultralight Sleeping Bag
- Toiletries (biodegradable toilet paper, tooth brush (X 2), toothpaste, etc.)
- Laptop Computer
- Laptop accessories (external hard drive, international plugin adapters, plug in, etc.)
- Dry Case for Computer
- Dry Bag (to keep all electronics and important paperwork dry.)
- Camera & Camcorder (I personally use a Nikon DSLR and a series of GoPro camera’s for high quality HD videos)
- Extra Batteries & Memory Cards (for camera & camcorder)
- Ultralight Stove
- Ultralight stover fuel
- Cooking Utensils (Stove Pot, lighter, etc.)
- Medications (Malaria Pills, vitamins, etc.)
- Documentations (Passport, Yellow Card, & Finances)
- Kerosene Bottle
- Travelers First Aid Kit
- Small Notepad/Journal & Pen
Keep in mind this is just what I carry with me while I continue backpacking around the world. This could vary from person to person. For instance, I usually carry my outdoor gear and my laptop because I like to equally travel in the outskirts of town to those hard to reach locations like the villages in the Northern Republic of Laos and occasionally head back into civilization so that I can update my blog.
If you don’t plan on having a website, or if you plan on making more friends by staying in hostels instead of camping, then you wouldn’t need everything that I listed here. Now get out there, get the gear you need, the proper travelers vaccinations, and go backpacking around the world with this essential backpacking checklist!
What do you carry in your backpacking checklist?