If you want to improve your cruise experience as a student and get the most out of your adventure, it may be beneficial to do some research prior to your trip.
Travel tips can come in all shapes and sizes, especially if you’re as flexible as I was while traveling in between studies through Southeast Asia.
Just so you know, that can most certainly be the case when you’re taking a cruise.
So whether you’re sneaking booze on board a ship or simply looking for extra storage space to stash your souvenirs, put your term paper writing assignments to the side and immerse in the dreams the beautiful Caribbean Islands, the Mediterranean Sea or the Pacific Ocean has to offer.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner in cruising or an old seadog – I’m sure you’ll find this interesting!
20 Travel tips to improve your cruise
Whether you’re looking for cruise tips for food, room service, cabin, health, entertainment, special secrets, or tips for cocktails, we’ve left no stone unturned. Take a look at the following tips to improve your cruise experience onboard the vessel:
- You can order more than one appetizer, entree, and dessert if you want to. Moreover, you can order small portions which are named “appetizer-sized portions” to try something new if you cannot choose one dish.
- It is recommended to check whether the cruise lines you want to travel with, have specialty restaurants. If you choose to have the first dinner in one of these alternative dining venues, then you may receive a discount or small gift for dining with them on the first day of the cruise.
- Some bars on the cruise ships offer complimentary snacks. Those, who work there do not always promote the information about it, but you can ask. However, do not expect something special, it will be something along the lines of bar snacks, coffee, or juice.
- There is almost always free ice-cream at the buffet. In addition, the flavors may differ in soft-serve machines all-around a cruise liner.
- By asking to see the menus with a cooking plan for the week, you can choose the best day to make a specialty dinner reservation.
- Room service is free almost on all the travel cruise lines. However, if you want to order food to your room, be ready to pay a hefty delivery fee and tip.
- You can take the drinks to your cabin from a bar and no one will say anything to you. Similarly, you can do it with your food.
- It is a well-known fact that buying a bottle of wine is cheaper than buying several glasses. However, if you order the bottle can’t finish it, have the waiters mark your bottle with the number of your room and they’ll store it until you request it. Also, this is transferable from a restaurant, to the bar or to your room.
- If you like drinking beer, then consider buying a bucket of beer instead of individual bottles. As a student, you’ll be amazed at how much money you will save following this simple option.
- You can also bring a couple of bottles of soda or juice with you to save on pricey drinks onboard. However, check out the websites of the cruise lines you are going to travel on in order to know all the rules and limitations.
- Almost all the cruise lines have happy hours. Go to the bars during these times if you want to buy low-priced drinks.
- Bring some magnets and hang up all the invites and daily planners on the walls (cabins are magnetic because they are made of metal).
- Some cabins have access to the spa including at least a pool, a sauna, and a steam room but be prepared to pay extra.
- Designers of the cabins usually make extra storage inside each cabin. Explore your cabin as well as you can and look under the bed and try to open an ottoman to get the most out of your small space.
- If you call a receptionist, room service can bring free seasickness meds. Also, you can usually visit the bar and ask for a complimentary seasickness remedy if you’re not feeling well.
- If you want to buy an Internet package, then it is recommended to do so prior to or on the first day of your cruise – you may be offered free additional minutes.
- If you missed the live show on the liner, you can watch a recording of it on a TV in your cabin.
- Do not panic if all the tickets to a show are sold out – many people make free reservations but they do not show up. Simply wait before the show starts and you will probably have an opportunity to get a ticket.
- Purchase a bottle of alcohol and pour it into several medium-sized containers to place in different locations throughout your luggage. If you’re lucky, you’ll get away with a few containers resulting in huge savings for cocktails purchased onboard. Of course, you didn’t hear that from me but you know what they say…when in Rome…
- It’s not uncommon to find drinks at a discounted price before 12 noon during your cruise. If you can handle it, get tipsy in the morning during a day at sea and lounge poolside for the rest of the day with only an occasional drink.
All in all, there are a lot of cruise tips for students that can make your cruise an unforgettable adventure. What secret cruise travel tips do you use to get the most out of and improve your cruise experience?