Everyone loves awesome and inspirational travel quotes – especially if it pushes them to take an adventure and travel the world!
I don’t know if it’s the beautiful backgrounds they’re plastered onto or the inspiration they emit, but the bottom line is that they are always pretty and, for the most part, oh so true.
Sometimes when you travel as much as I do, although you do get some pretty wicked experiences like climbing to the base camp of Everest and discovering underground waterfalls, you tend to lose the “oomph” of experiences.
These following inspirational travel quotes never fail to get me back on the bandwagon (so to speak) so that I can once again fully enjoy the entire experience of traveling.
Take a look at these top 50 best travel quotes that have inspired me over the years to continue traveling the world, learning new cultures, meeting new people, and ultimately creating the best life I could’ve ever imagine as a travel blogger!
Best Travel Quotes to Inspire You to Travel
- “I would gladly live out of a backpack if it meant I could see the world.”
- “People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home.” – Dagobert D. Runes
- “Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.” – Aldous Huxley
- “Happiness is not found in things you possess, but in what you have the courage to release.” -Nathaniel Hawthorne
- “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things – air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese
- “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
- “When we get out of the glass bottle of our ego and when we escape like the squirrels in the cage of our personality and get into the again, we shall shiver with cold and fright. But things will happen to us so that we don’t know ourselves. Cool, unlying life will rush in.” – D. H. Lawrence
- “The open road is a beckoning, a strangeness, a place where a man can loose himself.”
- “Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
- “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe.” – Anatole France
- “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” – Mark Twain
- “I’d rather look back at my life and say I can’t believe I did that instead of saying I wish I did that.”
- “He who would travel happily must travel light.” – Antoine de St. Exupery
- “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
- “Travel makes one modest, you see what tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
- “Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life – and travel – leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks – on your body or on your heart – are beautiful. Often, though, they hurt.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “Traveling is not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like breathing.” -Gayle Foreman
- “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” – Lawrence Block
- “Travel is freedom… one of the last great sources of legal adventure. Travel is intensified living, with maximum thrills per minute. It’s recess, and we need it.” – Rick Steves
- “We should come home from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day with new experience and character” – Henry David Thoreau
- “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.” -Anonymous
- “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy
“Please be a traveler, not a tourist. Try new things, meet new people, and look beyond what’s right in front of you. Those are the keys to understanding this amazing world we live in.” – Andrew Zimmern
- “If an ass goes traveling, he’ll come home a horse.” – Thomas Fuller
- “I just wanna go on more adventures. Be around good energy. Connect with people. Learn new things. Grow.”
- “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
- “I love to travel, but hat to arrive.” – Albert Einstein
- “Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.'” – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran
- “Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport.”
- “Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
- “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
- “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” -Oliver Wendell Holmes
- “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off al your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.” – Cesare Pavese
- “A journey is best measured in friends, not miles.” – Tim Cahill
- “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
- “Traveling. It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.”
- “To get away from one’s working environment is, in a sense, to get away from one’s self; and this is often the chief advantage of travel and change.” – Charles Horton Cooley
- “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc
- “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
- “I followed the road less traveled…now where the hell am I?!” (Personally one of my favorite travel quotes!!)
- “And if travel is like love, it is, in the end, mostly because it’s a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, undimmed by a familiarity and ready to be transformed. That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end.” – Pico Iyer
- “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
- “It is probably a pity that every citizen of each state cannot visit all the others, to see the differences, to learn what we have in common, and come back with a richer, fuller understanding of America – in all its beauty, in all its dignity, in all its strength, in support of moral principles.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page”.
- “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman
- “The most important thing is to enjoy your life – to be happy – it’s all that matters.” – Audrey Hepburn
- “Travel not to find yourself but to remember who you’ve been all along.”
- “The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.” – W.B. Yeats
- “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”
When you’re looking to find the best inspirational travel quotes, it all comes down to what resonates with you most. Whether you’re on vacation, traveling full time as a digital nomad, or working a 9 to 5 job, travel quotes come in a wide array of shapes and forms. But one thing is for certain, when the perfect inspirational travel quote hits you, it really takes you home to the one place you want to go.
What is your favorite inspirational travel quote that inspires you to travel the world?